Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Google Ads

Search

Advanced Search

4D Chess

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
loki_clock

USA US New Mexico
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:19 am   Post subject:   Reply with quoteBack to top 

I would include instructions showing the pieces and descriptions of their moves, including graphical representations on segments of the hypercube. Really, the 4D chess wouldn't be that much harder to program than 4D checkers. More programming, but not really more problematic, because from then on you're basically programing as with any chess game, except the possible moves list for each piece is bigger. The only thing particularly difficult would be designing a CPU algorithm, especially because I've never made an AI script for even 2D Chess, and I don't think I'd be able to make one that's competent but beatable, much less the multiple difficulty level ones I'd ideally include in the program. However, as I'd release it for free if I made it, I wouldn't feel obligated to include a single-player mode, so it could do without initially. I don't know why I'm talking about this like I'm going to be working on it anytime soon. Now I'm starting to feel obligated. I better get back to learning C++!

Download Post  No rating    
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:06 am   Post subject:  Re: 4D Chess Reply with quoteBack to top 

There are actually a few 4D chess games already designed. Some use space as the 4th dimension, and some use time. The simplest board for 4D 4x4x4x4 chess is a 2D board with a double grid system, that separates a 16x16 2D field into 16 smaller 4x4 fields, in a 4x4 arrangement.

Jim Aiken and Joe Joyce have designed very different games on that 4x4x4x4 board, and Larry Smith and Dan Troyka have done other 4D and higher dimensional chess variants on different boards. And these are just off the top of my head. All 4 do spatial 4D. There are temporal 4D games, one by Gary Gifford, and others whose authors I don't remember, because I prefer the spatial 4D games. See the chessvariants.org site and the websites of Jim Aiken and LL Smith for more information.

Download Post  No rating    
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:34 pm   Post subject:  Re: 4D Chess Reply with quoteBack to top 

My idea of 4D would be a 3D chess board and time would make it 4D. Let me explain: say Player A moves his pawn from 2b-6b in 4 turns, Player B wants to attack the pawn, but he cannot attack the pawn when it is at 6b; however Player B can attack the residual image, using a knight (just to eliminate confusion while explaining this concept) of the pawn at 2b (where the pawn was 4 turns ago) then in another 4 turns the pawn will be captured (takes 4 turns because the pawn was attacked at were it was 4 turns previous). Now say Player B's knight that attacked Player A's pawn gets its residual image attacked and the knight gets eliminated before the pawn does, then the pawn is not eliminated (given that it was not already captured or attacked at a more recent residual image). To clarify a chess piece turn is marked at it its starting position; thus up to 5 squares on the board may be attacked to eliminate the piece (1 current position, and 4 residual images).

If a piece had been left on a square for 3 turns the earliest residual image is the attacked image. Ex: pawn is moved from 2b to 3b then moves from 3b-4b on the fourth turn, the second residual image is attacked. 1st image (4 turns ago) is at 2b, 2nd image (3 turns) at 3b, 3rd image (2 turns) at 3b, 4th image (1 turn) at 3b, current at 4b. The 2nd image (3 turns ago) is the first image at 3b, thus if the image is attacked at 3b the first image is the attacked image; meaning in 3 turns the piece will be eliminated.

King:
The King is almost the same as all the rest of the pieces, except for the fact that if the king is checkmated 4 turns ago then to checkmate the king the king must be in check again 4 turns later, when the normal piece would have been eliminated. Ex: King is on checkmated on 1e and has been there since 4t turns ago then the King has up to 4 turns to not be in checkmate, however if by the 4th turn he is in checkmate then it is checkmate. To checkmate the king on a residual image then the residual image must be in checkmate (in check and would not have been able to move out of check, or eliminate check). If the pieces that had checkmated the residual image of the king are eliminated via one the pre-mentioned methods then the checkmate does not hold. If the King is checkmated at its current position, and had just moved to its current position, then it is checkmate as it would be in traditional chess. If it is apparent that the King can not move out of checkmate in the given parameters (usually only when the king is the last piece on the board) then checkmate may be called. However, it is wise to note that even though the king cannot move into check, unlike regular chess where a piece attacking the checking piece would not matter due to back-up pieces; now if the back-up piece does eliminate the check breaking piece if it gets eliminated after that turn because of an attacked residual image then the King is not in check. Same thing applies when blocking check. Stalemate is the same as traditional chess, cannot stalemate a residual image because only attacking a residual image affects the piece.

Double Images:
There may be more than 1 residual image on a square (up to 4 residual images and 1 current on the same square). If Player A lands on a residual image of his own piece it does nothing, but if Player B then lands on that square (Player A has 2 residual images on) then both of Player A's pieces are affected (the appropriate time for both residual images is allotted). Player A may then attacked the residual image of Player B's piece which had previously attacked Player A's two pieces; thus there is the possibility that Player A's piece will be safe, however the same rules already stated apply. That is why it is important to play out all the pieces their full length after a residual image attack, and not making preemptive eliminations.

Warning!!!!!!!!!: This may cause brain cells to be destroyed from thinking to hard. Play at your own risk.

Download Post  No rating    
loki_clock

USA US New Mexico
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:02 am   Post subject:  Re: 4D Chess Reply with quoteBack to top 

An interesting mechanic. But the number of spatial dimensions is somewhat irrelevant to the idea, isn't it? Mutually, the possibilities of a dimension of time is irrelevant to the possibilities of playing with 3+ spatial dimensions, at least in this case. I'm sure playing the game in any dimension could be fun, but until there's a unified spacetime (chess on other topologies comes to mind) at play on the board, I feel their whole is merely the sum of their parts.

Download Post  No rating    

Jump to:   

Quick Reply:
Username: 

Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum